We believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and in His only Son–Jesus Christ our Lord. We don’t believe that we have it all figured out. For moral, social and theological issues, we refer back to our source, the Holy Scriptures, through the lens of our rich Methodist heritage. A more in-depth look at United Methodist beliefs can be found in a brochure at one of our Welcome Points outside of the Sanctuary or Seabrook, but here are a few:
- We believe in one living and true God, who has revealed Himself in three ways: as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus is the Son of God, born of the virgin Mary, truly God and truly man, who for us and for our salvation came down from heaven. He atoned for the sins of all believers when He died on the cross. Three days later, God raised Him from the dead. Now He lives and reigns with God the Father and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe the only sure way of salvation is to confess one’s sin and to trust in Jesus Christ as personal Savior and Lord.
- We believe one day Jesus will return to earth in triumph. He will receive all believers into His eternal Kingdom and will judge the unrighteous.
- We believe the Bible was inspired by God and contains all things necessary for salvation. When read under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, the Bible is our true rule and guide for faith and practice.